Bursaries and scholarships are available to trainees on a fee-based teacher training course in England that leads to the award of qualified teacher status. Availability is dependent on your highest relevant academic award and the subject in which you are training to teach. To receive a bursary or scholarship you must be entitled to support under the Student Finance England criteria. Both elements will be assessed by your teacher training provider. If you have a degree from outside the UK, you should refer to the overseas degree equivalency table to see the bursary your degree may attract.
For the academic year 2017 - 2018 the training bursaries available are as follows:
For more information please visit the Get into Teaching website
Scholarships are available for trainees who want to teach chemistry, computing, geography, languages, maths or physics. To be eligible for a scholarship, you should have at least a 2:1 degree or above. You can still apply if you have a 2:2, but you’ll need to provide evidence of significant relevant experience. Scholarships are awarded in place of a bursary.
For more information on scholarships please visit the relevant page:
- Computing - BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT
- Chemistry - Royal Society of Chemistry
- Geography - Royal Geographical Society (with IBG)
- Languages (if you teach French, German or Spanish) - British Council
- Maths - Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA)
- Physics - Institute of Physics scholarships